I recently moved my office and found the following riddle among the stacks of paper…
There are 5 houses painted different colors. The person living in each house is of a different nationality. Each person drinks a different beverage, smokes a different brand of cigars, and has a different pet. With the following clues, you are to figure out who owns the fish?
Clues to the riddle:
1. The Brit lives in the red house.
2. The Swede has a dog as pet.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The green house is on the left of the white house.
5. The green house’s owner drinks coffee.
6. The owner who smokes Pall Mall has a bird.
7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The owner living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The owner who smokes mixed cigars lives next to the one who has a cat.
11. The owner who keeps the horse lives next to the one who smokes Dunhill.
12. The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The owner who smokes mixed cigars lives next to the one who drinks water.
Einstein supposedly stated that only 2% of the population would be able to solve this riddle. It took several attempts, but I finally completed it today. It’s a challenging riddle but with a little patience, anyone who enjoys a puzzle should be able to figure out who owns the fish.