A New Set of Wheels

My Toro lawnmower received a new set of wheels. I’ve known for quite some time that the wheels were worn, but the thing is, you don’t have to worry about crashing a lawnmower due to bald tires.

While mowing last week, I noticed one of the rear tires splitting. When I checked one of the front wheels, the hub was cracked and separated and the axle shaft worn. I suspected that the gears on the rear shaft were also worn. There were now enough parts requiring replacement that the cost of parts could exceed the cost of a new mower.

I decided to check the cost of a replacement mower first. The same mower would cost $436. If I decided to upgrade, I could easily spend $1000. After making a list of parts, the cost with shipping was $200, so I ordered the parts. It took about 90 minutes of my time to replace the wheels, axles, gears, gear covers, and everything received a fresh coat of grease. I planned correctly on which parts would need to be replaced and which could be reused. Everything else on the mower is in good condition so it made more sense to repair than to buy a new mower. Repairing also keeps a lot of material in use instead of creating a steam of old and new waste. This mower has been going strong for 17 years. With continued maintenance, I’m expecting to wear out another set of tires.

2 thoughts on “A New Set of Wheels

Start a conversation...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s